Abusive behaviour within a relationship (often called domestic abuse) can happen to anyone.

If you're worried someone might see that you have been on this page, find out how to cover your tracks online.

Domestic abuse is never okay. It may help to understand what constitutes domestic abuse before you decide what to do. This abuse may also be sexual in nature, leading to sexual violence. Whether this is behaviour by another student or not, the University can support you to report this to the appropriate authorities if you choose. No one should have to accept violence or control in their lives and you are not to blame for what is happening to you.

  • Are you in immediate danger? If so, or if you are seriously injured, you can call 999 (or 112 from a mobile).
  • Find a safe space.  If an incident has just occurred, try to find somewhere you feel safe. If this isn't possible and you are scared or fearful, you can call security on 01225 875555.
  • What is domestic abuse? It might be useful to think about what domestic abuse is and how some of the behaviours can present.  

  • Talk to a friend. Talking things through with someone you trust can sometimes help.
  • Independent Domestic Violence Advisors (IDVAs) are trained to look after the needs of a survivor of Domestic Violence to ensure that they receive the best possible care and understanding, and to provide information to ensure an individual can make decisions that are right for them. Students can meet with an IDVA from Next Link; please contact Student Support for a referral.
  •  Student Wellbeing Services (SWS) have a number of staff who are trained as Sexual Violence Liaison Officers (SVLOs) who can help you navigate academic, financial and accommodation concerns, as well as referring you to specialist services and supporting you to report to the police if you choose to do so. Contact SWS through your My Wellbeing. .

  • Report and Support - students and staff can report an incident using the university’s Report and Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously, or you can request support from a Wellbeing Advisor. If you choose to talk to an advisor, they will be able to discuss in confidence the options and support available to you.
  • University Procedure - if you choose to make a formal complaint to the University against a student or a member of staff. there are procedures which set out the steps that will need to be followed.
  • Choosing not to report - It is up to you to decide whether you wish to report this to anyone. There are many reasons you may choose not to report. Whatever your reason for not reporting will be respected. If this is the case, you may still access support both from the University and outside of the University. The support is free and will not pressure you to report the domestic abuse.

Get Support 

Mental Health
1 in 4 people are affected by a mental health problem during a 12 month period, and it is estimated that around 1 in 5 people has contemplated suicide or self-harm.


There are two ways you can tell us what happened