Sexual assault is any sexual touching that a person does not consent to. It involves all unwanted sexual contact including kissing, groping, rape and enforced sexual acts.

Anyone can be sexually assaulted, regardless of gender or sexuality. It does not matter if you have previously consented to sexual acts with that person, or with others. Whatever the circumstances, nobody has the right to force you to have sex or touch you without your consent. If this happens to you, it's important to remember it's not your fault.

Immediate help and advice
  • Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or injured call 999 (or 112 from a mobile).
  • Find a safe space. If an incident has just happened, try to find somewhere you feel safe. If you are at the University, call Security on 01225 875555, or go to the nearest building and ask someone to phone Security for you.
  • The Bridge (Sexual Assault Referral Centre) offers medical care, emotional and psychological support and practical help to anyone who has been raped or sexually assaulted. Their advisors are trained to look after the needs of a survivor of rape or sexual assault to ensure they receive the best possible care and understanding. They also offer examinations for forensic evidence if the incident was less than 8 days ago. Contact them 24/7 on 0117 342 6999.

Support for students
  • Independent Sexual Violence Advisors (ISVAs) are trained to look after the needs of a survivor of rape or sexual violence to ensure they receive the best possible care and understanding and to provide information to ensure an individual can make a decision that is right for them. Students can meet with an ISVA from Safelink, Please contact Safelink or Student Wellbeing Services for an appointment. 
  • Sexual Violence Liaison Officers at the university are trained staff who will provide support and can talk to you about the help available and discuss possible options. 
  • Sexual violence survivors pathway: sexual violence support services
  • Speak with a friend. Talking things through with someone you trust can help.
  • Contact Student Wellbeing Services - they will ensure you are able to access services you need.


There are two ways you can tell us what happened