If you think someone you know has experienced a hate crime, there are many ways you can offer support.

Understanding the behaviours associated with hate crimes is a good place to start. Some people will want to share what has happened or is happening to them and how it's making them feel. 

Hate incidents and hate crime are acts of violence or hostility against a person or property that is motivated by hostility or prejudice towards a person due to a particular characteristic. These may include a disability, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, transgender identity or an alternative sub-culture. A victim does not have to be a member of the group at which the hostility is targeted. In fact, anyone could be a victim of a hate crime.

Hate incidents and crimes include bullying, harassment and sexual harassment, which are contrary to the Equality Act 2010 and the University Harassment Policy.


  • Are they in immediate danger? If they are in immediate danger or seriously injured, you can call 999 (or 112 from a mobile).
  • Find a safe space.  If an incident has just happened, try to help them find somewhere they feel safe. If this isn't possible and they are scared or fearful, you can suggest they call Security on 01225 87 5555.
  • What is a hate crime? It might be useful to think about what hate crime is and how some of the behaviours may present.


Published on Oct 4, 2015 Based on the Samaritans guidelines for active listening

  • Give options - when they have finished talking, ask them if they are open to discussing some possible options.  
  • Student Wellbeing Services - an advisor can discuss in confidence the University's procedures, how to make a complaint and what support is available. Advisors can talk both to the person who is experiencing a problem, and to those who are supporting that person. 


  • To the Police - if you want to report directly to the police you can contact Avon and somerset Police on 101, or use the online form for reporting hate crime. 
  • Report and Support - students and staff can report an incident using the University’s Report and Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously or you can request support from an advisor. If you choose to speak with an advisor, they will confidentially discuss the options and support available to you.
  • University Procedure - if you choose to make a formal complaint to the University about a student or a member of staff, there are procedures which set out the steps that will need to be followed.

Get Support 

Mental Health
1 in 4 people is affected by a mental health problem in any year and it is estimated that around 1 in 5 people has contemplated suicide or self-harm.

There are two ways you can tell us what happened