Hate crimes hurt individuals and communities, and reporting it allows the University and the police to better understand and deal with what is happening. 

Hate incidents and hate crime are acts of violence or hostility against a person or property that is motivated by hostility or prejudice towards a person due to a particular characteristic. This could be a disability, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, transgender identity or an alternative sub-culture Hate Crime. A victim does not have to be a member of the group at which the hostility is targeted. In fact, anyone could be a victim of a Hate Crime.

Hate incidents and crimes include bullying, harassment and sexual harassment which are contrary to the Equality Act 2010 and the University Harassment Policy. Find out more about bullying and harassment and sexual harassment.

  • Are you in immediate danger?
    If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured, you can call 999 (or 112 from a mobile).
  • Find a safe space -  If an incident has just happened try and find somewhere you feel safe. If this isn't possible and you are scared or fearful you can call security on 01225 87 5555 or the Police non-emergency number, 101. 
  • What is a Hate Crime? It might be useful to think about what Hate Crime is and how some of the behaviours are described. 


  • To a friend
    - Talking things through with someone you trust can sometimes help. 
  • To a Harassment Advisor - an advisor can talk through the University's procedures, how to make a complaint and what support is available, in confidence.
  • The BSUSU Advice Service - is a free, confidential, impartial service where an advisor can talk through the procedure, how to complain, what options are available, and support you through the process. This support includes checking draft complaints and attending any meetings with the University


  • To the Police
    - if you want to report directly to the Police you can contact Avon and Somerset Constabulary on 101, or use the online form for reporting Hate Crime.
  • Report and Support - students and staff can report an incident using the University’s Report and Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously or you can request support from an advisor. If you choose to talk to an advisor they will be able to talk through the options and support available to you, in confidence.
  • University Procedure - If you choose to make a formal complaint to the University against a student or a member of staff there are procedures which set out the steps you'll need to follow.

Mental Health
1 in 4 people is affected by a mental health problem in any year and it is estimated that around 1 in 5 people has contemplated suicide or self-harm.
  • Find out more about the support available for mental health
  • Take care of yourself -  It’s important that you take care of yourself. If you’ve heard something distressing or if something is troubling you:
  • Student Wellbeing Services provides confidential help and support for students
  • Staff can speak with their line-manager, contact HR and access Lifeworks – the University’s employee assistance service.

There are two ways you can tell us what happened