'Spiking' is when someone gives someone alcohol or drugs without their consent. Traditionally we think of adding drugs to someone’s drink, and more recently spiking by injection. However, spiking can also take the form of things like giving someone a different drug to the one they consented to taking, or adding additional alcohol to somebody’s drink.

Spiking may also be for malicious purposes (for example, to cause fear or make someone more vulnerable to another crime) or non-malicious but equally dangerous purposes (for example, believing that it will lead to someone having “more fun" ).

It is never your fault if you have been spiked. Blame lies solely with the perpetrator.
  • Get help from a trusted friend or a member of staff at the venue. 
  • Report to the Police. Call 999 if at risk or 101 if in a place of safety. Police can test for drugs in blood, urine, drinks and vomit.  Drugs can leave the body in as little as 12 hours after consumption so it’s important to report and get tested quickly. 
  • Seek medical advice. If seriously unwell, someone you trust should take you to your nearest A&E department. Otherwise call 111 or consult your GP. If you suspect spiking by injection, seek testing for infections such as hepatitis and HIV. A&E do not offer toxicology tests and will only perform tests for drugs when it is necessary to determine medical treatment.
  • Contact Student Wellbeing Services 
  • Call campus Security on 01225 875555. They can also put you in touch with Out of Hours services . 


There are two ways you can tell us what happened